Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New Position: Lead PHP Developer

June of this year I was employed on my second job(PHP Developer) that paid me 133% more than PHP Programmer). My former officemate on my first job, told me about a job opening with the same salary, I wasn't able to entertain this because my second job's website got hacked and all files got wiped, so I needed to help. And I don't think it's a good idea to leave a company after 1 month cause I think it'll look ugly on my resume.

The offer

3 months later I called them again and to my surprise they asked me to go to there office right away located in Ortigas, NCR, Philippines that night because they need it urgent. I had a test which is a bit hard( I was expecting tests would be easy) then next day I was offered the job as PHP Software Developer (although I would just call it PHP Developer), for 14% more more salary but with 37% less working hours but it is night shift.

I came back to there office on night shift, then discovered the one that I will replace, who needs to go away for personal reason, is the PHP Lead Developer of two other developers. Of course I didn't expected that I will be the next team leader cause I've just worked for 2 years(+1 year by my own) and I am new to the company. This guy explained to me the current project status and the background of the company we will work in. When I asked him if I will be the next lead developer, he  said he don't know.

The challenge: being unexpected leader

Some days later I formally started and the surprising part is that the CEO assigned the leader. Although in doubt, I just thought this is my chance to experience it. Considering I'm still a young developer(but not generally young though :P, at age 22, I know it's not gonna be easy to lead team mates who don't know you.

I had to adjust with the codes I inherit, which I call (sorry) bad code. I had learned how to aim for benefit of simplicity on my first job while my second job thought me on the benefit of complexity. I had my first job for 2 years, had them both simultaneously for 2 months and had my second job for 3 months. I learned a lot from my two previous jobs and it's time to apply the lessons from both.

Sinking in

All seems to be good, the catch is it takes 2 hours to go office. Including the time to prepare before and after office it takes away extra 6 hours of my daily life. I always say this same phrase "Tatanda ako ng maaga" (I'll get old early) :)). So I am preparing to rent-to-own a condo 15 minutes away from office. I just wish I can budget my money well cause it'll cost 65% of my current salary. XD

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home