Friday, September 17, 2010

devcon accidentally disabled all my usb hubs

I wanted to create a batch program file that updates and "safely remove" my USB flash drive, I used this devcon.exe from microsoft. Unfortunately, I accidentally removed all the devices on my notebook.

Fix:

This was fixed just by going to device manager, uninstall all the usb host stuffs under universal serial bus controllers one by one then restart

After restarting they will automatically reinstall. And it fixed my problem. Just posting this to help other people if they would encounter same problem

The cause of the problem:

and by the way, the command I accidentally typed was:<-- (READ THIS WELL, DO NOT TEST IT OUT WITHOUT READING)

devcon remove status *

Obviously I was just trying to see the status when I accidentally( I don't know how I TYPED accidentally ) typed remove before status, causing devcon to try to remove device "status" which is invalid, but however removes * which means ALL

then boom, it became koko krunch. hahahaha

(If you find it weird that the fix comes before the cause, let's face it it's really annoying to read the whole post while all you care about is how to fix it :) hahaha :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home